Thursday, July 11, 2013

Bases -

After doing some quick research online about bases and stuff. I've taken all the bases from my battle force, ravager and venom and started doing rocky bases on them. I've posted the link below. I'm tempted to do a dark stormy rock crag paint scheme, a norweign island crag inspired colour scheme. Going Black primer, dark blue mixed with black to get a shale stone colour for the base colour then highlighting with paler greys and blues. I'm thinking of buying some pigment too, so I can colour the bases easier. Dark stormy seas, maybe with some patches of moss or grass poking through the rock cracks. and maybe the occasional norweign coastal flower.

The Norway flag also provides some possible colour scheme inspiration. That dark blue with that deep red. I think I can incorporate that into my paint schemes for my units.

Sigh, there's just something about steam punk that is hard to do for Dark Eldar I feel. The race is too sleek, too sharp and too twisted to be set in a rigid, anachronistic, heavy british gothic, sexually repressed victorian era, clunky mechanical steam punk setting. Dark Eldar just oozes sleekness, sadism, arrogance, disdain and malice.

Whilst Steam punk is like a Cog or a Smithing Hammer, Dark Eldar is more akin to a Needle or a Poisoned Dagger. I tried too hard to be different and ended up jamming two things that don't really fit stylistically or fluff wise. Now I'm just going to give up my need to be different, individual and just do a paint scheme that is more normal. Going DE was alternative enough (CSM and IG were the other considerations), the paint scheme can be highly derivative. I suppose it's just a part of my personality, always wanting to be different, unique, alternative or what not. I always take the second option, do things the harder way and apply creativity to things. I guess it stems from a want to be noticed, praised and in the centre of attention. well i'm gonna take it easy this time~


When these babies dry, I'm going to air brush them.

No comments:

Post a Comment